more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Friday, October 19, 2012

Vegan Mofo VI-Day 19: Arroz By Any Other Name...


I can't believe this is the first time I've cooked all week. The previous two weeks I was cooking at least once a day, sometimes twice. I am working on my comeback so I can finish on a strong note, but I am glad I haven't missed a day yet.

I had to change my cooking plans for this week due to weather (too hot to use the oven!), but one thing I could still make was the "Cilantro-Lime Rice" from Viva Vegan, yay! There were good prices on cilantro, green onions and limes at the market so that made me even happier that I chose this dish for this week.

I've never had cilantro-lime rice before. They offer it at Chipotle, but I have this issue that whenever I order anything which has beans and rice, I always get way more rice than beans and I feel cheated. So I usually pass on the rice and just ask for a ton of beans instead. Now that I have my own huge pot of beans and my own lil' pot of rice, I can balance it out and enjoy two great things together without wishing I had one more scoop of beans. Also, it's probably much cheaper this way. Now I just have to make my own guac, salsa and grill some veggies for my cheap-otle experience to be complete. I'm actually planning to do this exact thing if I can get my sister's boyfriend to hook up the guac and salsa. Burrito party!

This recipe was really quick and it's quite delicious. I debated doubling it so that I would have almost as much rice as I have beans (cooked another pot today!), but since it's so fast I know I could just make more in a few days when I run out. I only used two of the eight limes I bought so I definitely have enough for next time. I'm going to see how many I need to make the "Coconut Lime Cupcakes" from VCTOTW. It's supposed to cool down significantly next week and might even rain so that's perfect baking weather.

2 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love cilantro lime rice! If I see it I always order it and I like to make it at home too!

k said...

I finished my first batch today, so I'll be making more really soon. It's so good!