more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Friday, October 07, 2011

Vegan Mofo V Day 7 - Pizza Supreme

We don't have too many family traditions, but one of the newer ones we've invented is to eat pizza and watch a scary movie each Friday night in October. So far we haven't watched anything truly scary since my niece is only eight and does not seem to have inherited our appetite for gore and guts. Our kid-friendly movies included Return to Oz, Watcher in the Woods, and a few of the Goosebumps dvds. I know there are more but I can't recall at the moment. I know she definitely did not like When A Stranger Calls and we could not get more than 15 minutes into Nightmare on Elm Street before turning it off. I know it sounds inappropriate to let a kid watch those, but we were raised on those movies. My sister took a life size poster of Freddy Krueger to second grade show-and-tell!

There aren't any especially good pizza places near us so we have to make do. Sometimes we order a few toppings on a cheeseless pizza or just get one with sauce and add whatever we want to it. Other times we will buy dough and throw something together really quickly. We do have some Tofurky and Amy's pizzas hiding in the freezer, but I like to save those for emergencies, like when we forget to plan enough dinners for the week or when I am on my own and don't feel like cooking.

Since it's mofo time, I thought I would make a pizza we could really enjoy. Plus, it fits perfectly into my magazine week. This is Southwestern Pizza from Family Circle (who won't let you search recipes without registering, so I can't link it). Anyway this is really easy and you can probably figure out what to do from the photo. They suggested using two 9" premade crusts, but I opted to roll my own out from a store bought dough ball. Then you do a layer of salsa, a layer of cheese (I used FYH Monterey Jack), beans, bell peppers and green onions. Bake it at 450 for about 15 minutes. I put way more of everything because I like my pizzas loaded up. Garnish with cilantro when serving and you're ready to go.

I can't believe the first week of MoFo is done and I've blogged everyday. I hope I can keep this up, gotta start planning for next week.

No comments: