more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Friday, October 14, 2011

Vegan Mofo V Day 14 - Philly Tease Steak

Here is the soy curl philly I made yesterday. There are two onions, two bell peppers and a ton of mushrooms in there too, you just can't see them buried in the "meat". I wanted to do a tease steak with "whiz" since I have never made them like that at home, but I scrapped it when I didn't think I would like the spread I made very much. We had some daiya so I used that instead. The bread is leftover ciabatta baguette from bahn mi day. Yay for not wasting food!

This was my first time using soy curls. I rehydrated them in vegetable broth, drained them and then marinated them in broth, braggs, garlic and some balsamic vinegar. I had planned on doing a no-beef broth type of thing but forgot to buy any so I winged it. I baked them in the toaster oven for about half an hour before I tried to brown them up in the pan. You really have to get all the liquid out of these curls, I learned that quickly. I ended up taking them out of the pan and giving them a good squeeze. I sauteed the veggies and added the curls back in so they could get browned up. I took a lot longer on this than I probably should have but know that I know how these work, I won't make the same mistakes next time. Next will be the Couricos Tacos from Vegan Brunch or the Smoky Curls from Vegan Diner.

I really enjoyed Sandwich Week and I am glad my family did too. That would be a lot of sammiches for me to eat all by myself. I know I could, but that doesn't mean I should. I think the bahn mi and the tofu fish filet were the biggest winners. I can see them showing up again really soon. The reuben was yummy, but now I want to make the VWAV Tempeh Reuben too. I could eat reubens every day if left to my own devices. The philly wasn't what I thought it would be but it was still good. I want to make one with portobellos and go to sammich heaven.




No comments: