more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Friday, September 02, 2011

Mame Mia!

Last night I made Spinach Linguine Spaghetti with Edamame Pesto from Appetite For Reduction. Yeah, you read right, there is edamame in the pesto, and it's to die for. If you need convincing "it has about one-fifth the fat and calories of your average pesto plus five times the fiber".

I am not quite sure what real pesto is supposed to taste like because I never ate any in my picky pre-vegan days. I was strictly a red sauce gal, but I've grown up since then. This came out super creamy and delicious. I will definitely add a bit of cilantro next time per Isa's suggestion.

Another food I never ate much of in the past was mushrooms. I had an irrational food fear that I held onto for far too long. When I was cooking up the mushrooms with the onions, garlic and thyme I felt like a grown up making fancy food. I know that sounds stupid, but it looked and smelled like something the pros would do even though it was so simple. Those are usually the best dishes in my opinion. My mom even said it smelled good, so I offered to let her try it but I forgot she doesn't like mushrooms. Maybe that will change. There are so many foods I eat now that I would have never ate before. I don't think you have to go vegan to broaden your food horizons, but I am fairly certain that is what did it for me. Rather than limiting what I could/would eat, it busted the doors open and I am never looking back.

No comments: