more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vegan Mofo IV Week 4: Coffee (Cake) Talk

One of my favorite things to eat in my pre-vegan days was Entenmann's Raspberry Swirl coffee cake. I could eat the whole thing in a sitting. I actually did once on a T ride home after a night out, no joke. I think I was drunk, but that was still ridiculous. Why did I even admit to it just now?

Today I made the jam swirl variation of "East Coast Coffee Cake" from Vegan Brunch. I would have made it a lot sooner but I didn't have any raspberry jam. I got some last weekend, but decided to wait until after all of the Thanksgiving madness to make it. This eventually backfired on me since every time I baked a holiday dessert my sister kept asking me why I wasn't making the coffee cake instead.

I have never made a coffee cake from scratch so I was curious to see how it would turn out. I've only ever made the Aunt Jemima ones in the paper pans, so that was my frame of reference. The batter was really thick and I know next time not to use a silicone whisk to mix it. A fork will do, I switched to one after about ten seconds. Making the topping was fun. I used the 1/4 c. plus 2 Tbsp. of oil because I wasn't sure I had enough crumbs, might be able to do with less next time. I will keep a closer eye on it next time since it got a little too brown on top, but I had a quick taste and it was no worse for it. I bought an oven thermometer last week and it is showing a 75-100 degree difference from the dial so I'm still figuring that out.

Since she starts work late tomorrow I thought I would treat her to dessert and another light snack. I made the coffee cake today and in the morning I'll make the Chard Florentine on Toast Points from Vegan Yum Yum. Waiting an hour to slice into it is the hardest part of the process. I didn't cut it until about an hour and ten minutes and it was still a bit warm. I only ate half of the piece in the picture because I know my sister will be mad at me for starting without her. I know she'll have some when she gets home from her date, and I'm not sure how much will actually be left for the morning.

No comments: