more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan Mofo IV Week 3: TVP's repeat after me, say Yum Yum Yum (yum yum yum)


I never have a plan for Mofo, but there is always the underlying idea that I will make food I have never made before and dust off the cookbooks I am underusing. Yesterday I made the Cholent from Veganomicon for tonight's dinner since the recipe said it tastes better after a night in the fridge. I couldn't find TVP chunks so I had to use crumbles (I already feel Isa giving me the evil eye). I got everything else ready and decided to use 1/2 cup of seitan broth for the vegetable broth/white wine option. It was going along great until I checked my pot and the potatoes and carrots were still quite firm. Apparently I cut them too big so I had to let it simmer a bit longer. Not a big deal, but as I am always telling my niece, you have to follow directions.

I'm not sure what to serve with it yet but I am leaning toward bread. Or maybe I will crumble crackers on top like the V-con gals do. I just don't want to use rice. It's embarrassing to admit but I can make so many complicated dishes, yet I mess up the easy ones like cooking rice, go figure. Anyhow, I took a small taste before I put the stew to bed and it was lovely, so I can only imagine how much better it will taste tonight.

No comments: