more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Vegan Mofo IV Week 3: Survey Says!

My schedule was shaken up today and I didn't have as much time for Mofo as I thought. Here is a survey I borrowed from Végétalion to tide you over until tomorrow's entry.


What's your favorite spice or spice blend?

Paprika, I add it to almost everything.


You have $20 to spend on fresh groceries and produce for the whole week (with a fairly well stocked pantry of dry goods, legumes, grains, and spices). what do you buy?

Onions, garlic, cilantro, lemons, carrots and potatoes.

What's your favorite way to make tofu?

I would love to say scrambled, but my favorite is the tofu for egg mc vegans

Vegan guilty pleasure?

Any dessert I can get my grubby mitts on.

If you could make anyone vegan, who would it be?

George Clooney because he does all these things for the environment, which are great, but going vegan would help his cause so much more-especially if his admirers would follow suit. Then I could get back together with him :)

If you could only read one other vegan blog, what would it be?

The PPK blog.

Were you always interested in cooking, or did veganism change the way you saw and interacted with food?

Sometimes I think I might never have learned to cook if not for becoming vegan. I'm also afraid I would have held onto a limited palate/range of cuisine. I'm so happy I know how to cook, still learning every time. I am so glad I made the change when I did.


Excluding analogs, what new things have you tried that you probably wouldn't have as an omni?

So many things to choose from. Growing up we didn't eat a wide variety of foods. It was kind of like- pizza, hamburgers, tacos, rinse and repeat. I didn't have Chinese take out until high school, Thai till college. It's bizarre and weird, but since our parents didn't eat those foods, we didn't either. I remember going to visit a friend in San Francisco after freshman year of college and her friend suggested we get falafel and I didn't want to try it so we all got pizza instead. What a buzzkill! I am a fool for falafel now.


What is the one vegan staple that everyone seems to love, but you can't get behind?

I can't think of any, most of the hype has been true.

What was your first "wow, I'm such a stereotypical vegan" moment?

I'm not sure I've had one yet, but maybe omni friends would disagree.

First recipe you veganized?

I can't remember, but it was probably something really easy like, "oh I'll make ________ and just not put any cheese".

What would you like to veganize, but haven't yet?

Chile rellenos, probably easy, but haven't done it yet.

Favorite kitchen utensil/appliance?

No fave appliance but I have a favorite wooden spoon and a favorite rubber spatula that are "mine". I use them almost exclusively even though we have all kinds of tools.

 Most disastrous kitchen failure?

My first attempt at seitan or the time I was taking cookies out of the oven and a few slid off the sheet, back into the oven and made a huge melty smelly mess.

First vegan cookbook?

I got Vegan With A Vengeance and Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World  for Christmas.

What question about being vegan do you HATE answering?


It's probably a tie between "what do you eat?" and "does it bother you that I'm eating this in front of you?".

If you could tell the world one thing about vegans, what would it be?

We're just normal people who happen to be slightly more awesome than others. We are not starving or suffering from not eating animals. Compassion tastes great.

Funniest vegetable?

Any that resemble genitalia, my immaturity gets the better of me at times.

What is a family recipe you have veganized?

We don't really have family recipes. Sad, right?

Weirdest food combination ?

Any savory recipes that involve fruit still seem weird to me. I have to try them and prove myself wrong.

Is there something you wish you could veganize, but can't/couldn't?

Pastrami sandwich, but I'm sure someone is working on it, or has already cracked it.

Favorite ways to prepare tofu, seitan, tempeh, any other vegan proteins?

Breaded and baked or fried

Are your pets vegan?

Not yet. I tried to switch my dog's food over summer and it didn't take but I am going to try again.

Favorite non-dairy milk?

Plain almond milk. I just switched a month ago and I love it. It's 60 calories less than soymilk per serving and it tastes great.

No comments: