more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Monday, November 01, 2010

Mo! Fo! Let's go!

I love that the first day of Vegan Mofo IV also falls on World Vegan Day. Let's keep the festival of firsts rolling.

Today I made my first recipe from Appetite for Reduction, Quinoa, White Bean and Kale Stew. As a vegan chubster, to say I am eagerly anticipating the release of this book is an understatement. I already pre-ordered my copy, but only noticed a few days ago there were teaser recipes on the ppk. Since I have white beans coming out of my ears and I love soups and stews, I couldn't wait to try this recipe, especially since it was raining when I read it. I bought all my ingredients and then came home to find out the forecast for this week is high 80's to low 90's which only bummed me out for a second since I knew the stew would still be amazing.

This was my first time using parsnips and fennel seed. I've wanted to try a dish with parnsips for about a year now but just haven't for some ridiculous reason. I have extra parsnips, carrots and potatoes left over so I'm thinking a roasted vegetable dish should be happening sometime later in the week. I haven't planned a Thanksgiving menu yet so I'll most likely be trying a recipe or two each week until I get it right. I have a pile of tear-outs and copies of wonderful seasonal recipes and I'm sure there are tons of suggestions from fellow mofo's who always inspire (and sometimes intidimidate) me.

I think my stew came out stewier/starchier than Isa's, but it still looks and tastes delicious. I have an omni friend who is trying to make the transition to veganism so I am definitely going to send some her way. We'll turn them all out eventually, one bite at a time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is "vegan chubster" an official term? I believe the husband and I both fit in this category!

I'm so glad I cam across your blog- definitely looking forward to reading your MoFo posts and beyond!

Happy World Vegan Day & MoFo'ing!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I can't wait for Appetite for Reduction. The recipes are amazing!

k said...

Organarchy- I'm not sure if it's an official term but I know I'm not the only one out there (so much great vegan food!) I'm looking forward to your mofo posts as well.

Mo- I am so excited for that book. I saw some testers on your blog, can't wait!

Kit said...

Awesome! It looks great. I really want to try the onion rings.