more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

rosas y 'ritas



Most people know that Cinco de Mayo is not the real Mexican Independence Day (¡16 de Septiembre!), even yo, la más pocha, have known that for years. However it is definitely not the first or last historical/cultural event to be turned into a reason to party. 4 de Julio anyone? Who am I to say no to a party, in any language. That would just be rude.

Porque somos pochas, the only Independence day we normally celebrate is 4th of July. Twilight zone marathon, barbecue, fireworks (still allowed in our city!), beer and cocktails= good times. This year we decided to have a special dinner for Cinco De Mayo for no particularly good reason other than the 5-letter word that has finally made vegan enchiladas possible: d-a-i-y-a. We first made them for my sister's birthday in March and have been waiting for an excuse to do it again.Last time my mom helped me and we were able to fit more enchiladas into a 13" x 9" pan. I forgot that when left to myself I will put so much filling that you can barely roll them. It's great when you are eating them, but not so good when you realize you are going to have to make three pans instead of one. The plus is that they are easier to fit in the fridge now.

For dessert we had "Mucho Margarita Cupcakes" from VCTOTW. I think this is only my 5th attempt of the 75 recipes in the book, slacker! I will definitely try them again since it was one of the quicker cupcakes to make, even with all of the lime squeezing. We have some older pans that still bake great but since they're old they leave marks on the paper liners y no me gusta. About a year ago, I bought a new pan but I think it is too light or something else is wrong with it. These and the "Pineapple Right Side Up" are the only ones I have made in that pan and they stuck to the liners so you only get about half a cupcake when you eat them. I baked three smaller ones in foil heart cups and those turned out fine so I'm thinking its the pan. The cupcakes I did get were still quite delicious and the frosting también. I do need some practice with the sprinkles, maybe next time I will follow directions and roll them in the sugar.

I also made flores de papel crepé. for the ladies That was the one thing I actually got right today. The first one I made was huge so I did next two large and medium sized. The extra large one was definitely my favorite. I love to wear flowers in my hair, especially when they are almost as big as my hair (still not sure if I should chop it before the wedding or leave it fro-tastic). My sister was having a bad day and didn't want to wear hers. My niece had taken hers off and couldn't be bothered to put it back on. Luckily my mom is a good sport and I pinned one on her as soon as she got home.

No comments: