more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Thursday, February 18, 2010

crumb bummed

Ever since I have been cooking more I have become a bit of a kitchen snob, I totally admit this. I eschew shortcuts and glare at pre-made mixes, boxed meals and so on. One thing that has always bothered me is bread crumbs. I could not understand why anyone would by them (other than panko maybe?) when it is so much easier and less wasteful to make your own.

As soon as I became I snob I have been called out for it and rightly so. I have been trying to de-snob or at least keep my comments to myself. Today I was making a baked macaroni and cheese, not sure if you can still call it that for lack of said cheese, but whatever. I've made it a few times and it has always turned out delicious. I normally use mini muffin pans and make mac and cheese bites but since it is for work and I am not fond of work these days, I thirteen x nine'd it instead. I had everything ready to go and realized I forgot to prep bread crumbs. In a lazy hurry, I grabbed my mom's canister o' crumbs, scooped some out and sprinkled them on top. I didn't like the way it looked and it felt like cheating but like I said, I was in a hurry.

Casserole in the oven, I dashed around to finish dishes and returning everything to its rightful place. As I grab for the canister o' crumbs again I decide to read the ingredients, something I should have done shortly after taking it from the cupboard. I remembered the other reason I do not buy a lot of things pre-made/done- because the convenience usually comes at a cost, and they are not vegan. Grrrrr. I was so mad at myself, master ingredient reader, for neglecting to read the ingredients before dumping those crappy crumbs all over my casserole. I hope everyone else enjoys it tomorrow. I'll just have to play good hostess and no one will be the wiser.

No comments: