more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Saturday, February 27, 2010

I'm looking for a dare to be great situation...

in a month or three, maybe even six. I knew this was coming and should have started to plan but honestly this last year has been a ridiculous roller coaster and I really just wanted off already. We thought we were being let go on Wednesday and when that did not happen I began to worry that it might not happen until some time next week or even next month. Luckily, I got my walking papers yesterday and that chapter is finally over.

Don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of working for the company and I know for certain I will remain friends with some of the fine people who were once in its employ. I learned a lot from some wonderful wiser ladies and gentlemen and I'd like to think I imparted some knowledge to a person or two in my time as well. It was the longest I have worked anywhere and I did a lot of growing up these last seven years. I am thankful for the opportunities I had to prove myself, push myself and promote myself while I was there.

I hope to receive some lovely letters of recommendation that will aid in the resume revising process. I have a tough time selling myself, even though it should be easy since I have so much to offer. I just prefer to do the work well and let it speak for itself rather than waste time talking about how awesome I am. I hold strong to the "don't talk about it, be about it" principle.

It seems the easiest thing to do would have been to try and get in with the new consolidated company or go to another company in the same trade but I don't think I will. This job fell into my lap when a neighbor needed some temp help and I needed work, any work. I stayed on because it was convenient and I liked the people. Over time I built an excellent situation that would have been tough to walk away from. Had the company not been sold, I cannot imagine how long I may have continued to work there. When you have a good thing going, it's tough to see what better things might be out there for you. I know I won't find them if I do not start looking, but I have hope that a few might be looking for me as well. I am going to study my Lloyd Dobbler just in case: "I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that."

No comments: