more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Vegan Mofo VI- Day 4: You Taco'n To Me?


 After a brief breakfast interrruption, I decided to keep going with my improvised theme. Also because I talked to my sister and she told me today is National Taco Day. I had no idea and will have to add it to the calendar for next year so I can have a taco party. It wasn't quite "Taco Tuesday on a Thursday", but if I couldn't make tacos, I could at least make taco mix.

I've never made my own taco mix before. I usually just season a block of tofu with a packet from the store.  I knew I had some tvp hiding in the pantry so I searched the internet to find a recipe that sounded good. Luckily I found one, and it's from a fellow Mofo, even better! I used The Snarky Chickpea's recipe with a few small changes. Instead of vegetable broth I used BTB No Beef Base (also hiding in the pantry), brown onion, and some frozen bell pepper strips my brother left behind when he moved last month. I also added about 6 cloves minced garlic. I used this recipe for taco seasoning, but ended up adding 2 T instead of 1 1/2 T.

I hadn't planned on cooking this at all, so I think I made the best of what I had on hand and it turned out great. I packed a bowl with beans, rice and taco mix for my work dinner, yum! I will probably do this more often and just experiment with different seasonings until I find my dream taco blend. It didn't take that much longer than using tofu, especially since I didn't have to wait to press and cube anything! Plus I was able to get this all done while my tortilla masa was resting. Yay! I was super proud of my time management until I realized I still had a lot of dishes to do before changing clothes for work. It's only the first week, maybe I'll have it down by the end of the month. Here's hoping!


No comments: