more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

M'damn Curry


I didn't drink a single green smoothie last week and began to worry about all the spinach that I was on the verge of wasting. I remembered I had copied a recipe from an Indian cookbook that sounded good, but while I was looking for that, I found the copies I had made from VWAV, which included the recipe for "Chickpea and Spinach Curry". Having had an imaginary and unfounded curry aversion in the past, I had not tried this recipe yet. It was the perfect thing to make use of all that spinach and help me get over my picky food past. For the record, I used to have a copy of the book, but I loaned it out and I have a feeling I may not ever see it again. I made a few copies to tide me over until I can buy another copy of one of my favorite cookbooks ever. You should buy it if you don't already have it!

I took a quick glance at the recipe and I seemed to have everything I needed, except for the asafoetida, which was optional, phew! It wasn't until I got further along that I realized I was missing something else, cardamom pods. I have whole nutmeg and cinammon sticks but no cardamom pods! I ran to the computer to see if I could use ground cardamom instead, even though it wouldn't be nearly as good, I had to try. I think it turned out well, but of course, will be even better next time when I have taken a better look at the ingredient list (and the cupboard!) before starting. Luckily I still had some basmati rice that I managed to cook without messing it up. I haven't cooked rice since college so it doesn't come quite as easily to me these days.

I can't wait to try more recipes like this, that push me out of my old comfort zone and give me more delicious options. I love Indian food when I am out, but I've not given much effort to making my own at home. I'd love to make my own naan, and even more than that, dosas. After I get enough practice it would be really fun to have a little theme dinner, hopefully with leftovers for lunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

My name is Rachel Rothstein- I am an Animal Advocacy intern at Animal Place, a farm animal sanctuary in Grass Valley, CA. I have a question to ask you about one of our upcoming events and I was wondering if you could email me at Rachel@animalplace.org? Thanks so much!!