more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Egg-cellent!


The Money Shot

When I read the recipe for these, it seemed relatively simple. The only problem I thought I would have was the waiting, as each step is separated by a few hours to allow the eggs to chill/set. The recipe said I could use brown rice syrup or corn syrup so I thought I would use brown rice syrup since that was at least organic. I'd feel slightly less horrible for serving a ball of sugar wrapped in chocolate to my niece who already has 3 cavities (she didn't get her mother's teeth-none of us have ever had a cavity).


I am glad I put in the labor to try these at least once. I think this was one of those times where I was nervous throughout the process because I didn't know what to expect so I couldn't tell if I was doing it right or not. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to try it early in the week so that I could make attempt number two on Friday if necessary. Luckily, they turned out just as I had hoped so the only reason I would have to make them again is if they don't survive until Sunday, or if I want to share some with friends.

Here is my short list of what I'd do differently next time:
  1. Use corn syrup instead, the brown rice syrup was really heavy and I had trouble creaming everything together, which could also be due to...
  2. An old hand mixer that probably needs to be replaced. I think I almost killed it yesterday. It's 20+ years old.
  3. I would skip refrigerating and go straight to the freezer. I chilled my yolks/whites for two hours and they were still not firm enough to work with.
  4. Roll faster or enlist a friend. I had to keep putting everything back in the freezer, so it took me 3-4 rounds to get all my eggs together.
  5. I would also lightly lube everything, hands included, with shortening, that stuff can stick!

No comments: