more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Friday, October 08, 2010

Somebody Give This Guy A Muffin!


A banana surplus is not always a bad thing. If I didn't mess up and buy too many, there wouldn't be any banana chocolate chip muffins to welcome my niece and sister home after three weeks of house-sitting. I thought it would be a vacation for me and a test-run for them, but it wasn't what any of us thought it would be. My niece was still here a few days after school each week until my sister or her fiancĂ© could collect her. I went to "their" house for dinner once each week, but it wasn't as good as at home. We complain about our kitchen being so small but it does have all the equipment we need (though there are a few things we still want of course). I think my favorite part of the visit was not having to clean up afterward.

Anyway, back to the muffins. I was going to wait for the others, but just couldn't. They turned out lovely. I really do need to get an oven thermometer before the holidays though. The baking time was 20-30 minutes so I set my timer for 20. Somewhere between 10 and 15 it started to smell like they might be burning so I opened the oven to find out they were indeed done, and a few overdone. Not a big deal, just penciled a note about the time in my book and put the toastier ones aside. I enjoy food just on the edge of burned, but I wouldn't serve it to anyone else.

Tricky oven aside, it was a great recipe from The Joy Of Vegan Baking by Collen Patrick-Goudreau. I love her recipes and I am still mad at myself that I lost the library's copy of The Vegan Table before I could even get a good look at it. I'm hoping to find it somewhere in this house. I already bought a replacement copy for the library, so if I find the old one it's mine to keep.

No comments: