more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Sunday, February 04, 2007

You'd Be Surprised About What You Can Get, If You Ask For It The Right Way*

On the way to the bar last night, I read this article about traditional African matriarchy on my phone. Granted it is lame to be reading news on my phone when I'm supposed to be going out, but sitting in the backseat, you are relegated to only bits and pieces of front seat conversations and listening to music you wouldn't pick if you were in proximity of the stereo, so why not catch up on the happenings instead of picking your nose?

To propose marriage the woman prepares a fish dinner and presents it to the man of her choosing. If he refuses, he dishonors his family. It kind of reminds me of "Cat Women of the Moon", but if they were watered down to kittens, "it's women who do the asking, and once they have, men are powerless to say no".

If I could just draw a little more on my own strong matrilineal roots, I would probably have balls, or rather bazooms enough, to tell someone he and I are going to get married. My mom did it, so can I.

Now all I need to know is where do I bring this fine kettle of fish, L.A. or Lake Como? Or Glades?

*Jack Foley

No comments: