more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Monday, October 24, 2011

Vegan Mofo V Day 24 - Scallion Pancakes!!!!!!!!

The first time I had scallion pancakes was when I lived in Brookline ten years ago. They were from Lucky Wah, which was right around the corner from our place. I was hooked immediately. I've had some at other restaurants since but these will be the standard by which they're all judged. I'm not even sure if they are the best, but they were the first I ever had so that's how I expect them to be from that point forward. Plus the sauce they sent with them was so very good. Now I could probably pick it apart and figure it out but back then I was clueless. It had just the tiniest bit of sweetness that made it perfect. I am definitely swining by there whenever I am back on the east coast.

If I got back into my themes, this would fit under "Stuff I Always Say I'm Going to Make, but Haven't Yet". I'm addicted to these pancakes and unfortunately my 2nd favorite place to get them has stopped making them, boo! Sometimes they have them in the asian markets, but they don't taste as good, so you just have to make your own. Since I've recently gotten more comfortable with flipping and frying, it seemed like a good time to go for it. Plus my sister put her "special tofu" on the menu for the week and they'd go together perfectly.

I used the recipe in Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Occasions by Nava Atlas. It's very simple with only a few ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, salt, baking powder, water and scallions. Sesame seeds are optional but I had them so they went into the bowl too. I forgot to pay attention when adding the oil so I put too much, lucky for me I like greasy food, but you could do well with less for sure. These came out tasty, but of course not like my #1 jam at Lucky Wah (not to discourage anyone from trying them, they are delicious!) It's a close substitute for now though. I will keep trying until I get it right.

No comments: