more like this @ comicallyvintage.tumblr.com

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vegan Mofo IV Week Two: TV Dinner

Last night we had Tempeh-Oatmeal Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans with Lemon and Garlic. The meatloaf recipe was from Vegetarian Times and the Green Beans from The Neelys of Food Network Fame. I've never tried to make a vegan meatloaf and I've never made green beans either. It's funny how often you can cook but still not cook a lot of things you think you would have made years ago. It's a little embarassing too, but we'll get over it in time.

The meatloaf was going along fine until I forgot it involved the food processor. Not a big deal to get it down from the high shelf, I just thought I had everything out already. The other thing I didn't do was read through the recipe to see how long it had to bake. I ended up getting everything in the oven about half an hour later than I should have so dinner was later than I expected. The good thing was my sister came home and was able to help me out with a few things. She is the designated potato masher but since I was on round one of dishes, she chopped and got them in the pot too. Thanks sis!

Luckily everything worked out just fine. I was able to get the beans boiled, blanched and ready to sautee. I ahd time to mince garlic and zest lemon while waiting for the water to heat up, phew! The meatloaf didn't really taste like meatloaf but it was good. The marinara gave it an Italian vibe, which is why I wanted lemony green beans, even if they didn't quite go with the mashed potatoes. All in all it was a good meal. My niece didn't like the lemon on the beans but she ate everything else. For dessert we each ate a Tofutti Yours Truly drumstick. It was a good day.

No comments: